How to Measure a Horse for a Winter Blanket
7 Tips for Fitting a Horse Blanket in Colder Weather
When colder weather is on the way, it’s time to start thinking about selecting a winter horse blanket and ensuring it fits properly. A winter horse blanket is an essential addition to your horse gear, offering comfort and protection when temperatures start to drop.
Following are some of our top tips to help you select the best winter horse blanket for your equine partner:
Measure Your Horse – First things first! It’s important to learn how to measure a horse for a winter blanket. Using a soft measuring tape, measure your horse from the center of their chest, around the side, and to the center of the tail. This will give you the proper horse blanket size. Most horse blankets are sized in inches so be sure to note your measurement in inches.
It’s important to keep your tape measure level and taut when measuring your horse for a blanket. It is recommended to enlist the help of another person to hold the tape measure for the most accurate measurement.
- Take into Consideration Your Horse’s Build – Just like people, horses come in all different shapes and sizes. As a result, it’s important to evaluate your horse’s unique build when selecting a horse blanket. If your horse has a stockier body type, they may require a blanket with added room in the shoulder and chest areas. On the other hand, horses with a slender build may need a blanket with a more tailored fit.
- Consider the Features of Different Horse Blankets – Winter horse blankets come in a wide range of styles, each offering unique features to suit different horses. Look for a horse blanket that has adjustable straps located at the front, belly, and hind legs. Adjustability is key in helping you customize the blanket’s fit for your horse’s specific body type.
- Try on Your Horse Blanket – After you have selected a winter horse blanket that accommodates both your horse’s measurements and build, it’s time for a try on session! Place the blanket on your horse’s back and fasten its front closures. Take a moment to make sure the blanket sits well across the withers and isn’t rubbing against the animal’s mane or withers. Adjust the belly strap and hind leg straps for a fit that’s snug, yet not too tight or too loose.
- Check Blanket for a Combination of Fit and Comfort – Take some time to observe your horse wearing the blanket while they are moving around in their normal daily environment. Watch to make sure the horse blanket is not restricting their movement and that they can walk, trot, and canter comfortably. Inspect the shoulders, chest, and withers for any signs of rubbing or chafing that may develop with longer periods of wear.
- Ensure There’s Room for Layering – It’s good to keep in mind that you may need to layer the horse blanket with rugs or liners in exceptionally cold weather. As a result, make sure you have enough room to comfortably add extra layers without making the horse blanket too tight and restricting.
- Conduct Regular Fit Checks – Be sure to periodically check the horse blanket’s fit and condition throughout the winter season. Your horse may gain or lose weight, making it necessary to adjust the blanket accordingly.
A well-fitted winter horse blanket is a must-have in colder climates, providing warmth, comfort, and protection to your equine companion. Following the tips in this article will help ensure you don’t have an ill-fitting blanket that may cause discomfort, chafing and injuries. Taking the time to select a blanket in the right size and style for your horse’s individual needs and body type will give you peace of mind throughout the winter season.